QUINTA DA COMENDA - SÃO PEDRO DO SUL
Dating back to the period before the foundation of Portugal (1143), Quinta da Comenda was owned by the Queen D. Teresa, mother of the first king of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques.
A farming and wine growing estate surrounds a house of exceptional architectural beauty. The wines produced here have been known since the days of the Order of Malta.
Its present owners have started a project of biological agriculture, pioneer in this region, and produce a fabulous wine well-known worldwide.
The exceptional architecture, intimate gardens and granite fountains encourage meditation and make this a very special place to stay.
Rua da Quinta da Comenda, 336 - Outeiro da Comenda
Dating back to the period before the foundation of Portugal in 1143, this splendid house was owned by Queen D. Teresa, mother of Portugal's first king D. Afonso Henriques. Today, the 90-acres estate has been converted to bio-agriculture and produces a wine that enjoys an enormous reputation worldwide. The exceptional architecture, gardens and fountains encourage meditation and make this a very special place to stay.
In Solares de Portugal The art of good living , Edições INAPA, 2007