Located in the center of Portugal, ten minutes from Tomar and Fátima, Ourém goes back to the time of D. Afonso Henriques, who conquered the castle to the Moors and to D. Nuno Álvares Pereira, third Count of Ourém, who guaranteed the independence of Portugal in the great Battle of Aljubarrota.
Alcaidaria - Ourém
Some pages of Portuguese history have been written here, from the French Invasions to connections to the Order of Malta and to D. Nuno Álvares Pereira, third Count of Ourém.
Linked to this important character of our history, is the porch chapel, one of the most important buildings in the property. It gained historical importance when, in August 1385, on the way to the Battle of Aljubarrota, the Constable D. Nuno knelt here and prayed to Saint Luzia, appealing to his divine protection. The interior, remodeled and increased in its dimensions throughout the ages, maintains the vaulted and ogee main chapel in gothic-Manueline style.
Later, the property entered the family by the hands of the 1st Baron of Alvaiázere, who received the title during the reign of King João VI (1816-1826) for his dedicated medical services he rendered to the King.
In 1984, it became a recognized place for receiving guests from all over the world, for the quality it has always offered its guests. Today it maintains a traditional atmosphere and an atmosphere of living. From the stone walls at the entrance, to the majestic staircase that leads to the living room, through the Arraiolos tapestries of and the portraits on the walls, everything converges to an environment of great involvement.