The municipality of Torres Novas includes ten parishes located in the Central Region (NUTS II) and the Middle Tejo sub-region (NUTS III). The municipality is inhabited by 36,717 Torrejanos in a total area of 270.0 km2, characterized by the coexistence of the limestone formation of the Serra de Aire and the floodplains of the Almonda River, which expand into lezirias at the confluence with the Tagus.
The region has proved appealing since ancient times, with the man leaving marks of his presence since the Paleolithic in places located on the edge of the karst network of the Almonda river, such as the caves of Buraca da Moura and Oliveira or Lapa da Bugalheira.
The economic fabric developed over the 19th century and among the most successful cases are the founding of the Almonda Paper Factory (1818), the establishment of the Torres Novas Spinning Company (1845), as well as the creation of the carrier João Clara & Companhia (Irmãos) Lda. which, at the date of its nationalization (1975) was called Clara Transportes - SARL and accumulated the largest market share in the country with the second largest in the Iberian Peninsula.
The inauguration of the Torres Novas to Alcanena railway line in 1893, for its part, featured one of the most curious and troubled episodes in the region's business history. The “Boy Train”, so called due to the reduced size of the composition, was granted by the Railways Company of Torres Novas to Alcanena - S.A.R.L. (belonging to Barão de Matosinhos) and circulated, for the majority of the route, through a narrow gauge road over roads. The multiple derailments earned him a second name, "Rata Cega", and would contribute to the closure of the line three years after its creation. The 20th century arrived in the meantime and the memory of the railroad tracks was diluted in the increasing regional affirmation of the municipality that determined the rise of Torres Novas to the city in 1985.