(Chamada para a
rede fixa nacional)
It is located on a hill in the Arrábida mountains, between the Sado river and the Tejo river. From the top of the castle there is a vast panoramic view of the mountains, rivers and sea and one never loses sight of the valley of Barris. It is a good place for walks. The valley is within the Nature Park of Arrábida. Sheep graze in fertile fields, whose milk is used to produce the real Azeitão cheese. The climate and soil are also good for wine.
Man has inhabited this area, from the mid Palaeolithic Age. King Afonso Henriques conquered the castle and gave it a charter in 1185. King Dinis elevated Palmela to a town in 1323. The county was dissolved in 1855 and restored in 1926 until today.
Palmela has a lot to offer: monuments, scenery and during the summer months - bright starlit nights. In July and August one can enjoy them from the Cine-Teatro terrace, from the Largo José Maria dos Santos and from the castle.