(Chamada para a
rede fixa nacional)
Castelo de Vide is located in the cool mountains of São Mamede, among dense olive groves and chestnut trees. The airy town is sometimes called "Sintra of Alentejo" and is full of monuments. The oldest document concerning the town dates to 1273. But some say that Pedro Annes gave it a charter in 1180. King Dinis gave it a charter in 1310 and had the castle built. Later King Manuel also gave it a charter. Among the many monuments there are prehistoric and Medieval ones, dozens of churches, enchanting alleys and some of the best Gothic entrances in Portugal. It also has a renowned spa, mild climate and is located near Póvoa dam, which has become a tourist attraction.