Located on a high hill of vineyards with wonderful views of the Lima Valley below, Paço de Calheiros is considered to be one of the most beautiful examples of 17th century manor houses in Portugal.
This stately home is a relevant residence of history, heritage and culture, framed by elegant gardens with 13 acres of orchards and vineyards. It has a most impressive entrance with its distinguished gateway, followed by a beautiful long-established tree-lined drive leading to an ancient stone fountain shaded by a wonderful magnolia tree.
The Count of Calheiros, who will proudly show his 17th century family home, makes guests feel very welcome. An impressive estate, encompassing the ancient manorial residence with its adjoining private chapel, lofty rooms, shining floors, solid mahogany and rich damask, uncountless family portraits...
Horse-riding and wine-tasting are among the attractions of the house owned by the Count of Calheiros family for more than 600 years.
Located on a high hill of vineyards with wonderful views of the Lima Valley below, Paço de Calheiros is considered to be one of the most beautiful examples of 17th century manor houses in Portugal. It is set in splendid gardens and is noted for its impressive entrance and tree-lined drive leading to an ancient stone fountain shaded by a wonderful magnolia tree. Horse-riding and wine-tasting are among the attractions of the house owned by the Count of Calheiros' family for more than 600 years.
In Solares de Portugal The art of good living , Edições INAPA, 2007
The manor house by the name of Calheiros is situated in a large farm, which the old days was known as "Pinheiro" farm. It is in the heart of the Lima valley, in the parish of Santa Eulália Eufémia de Calheiros.
The Calheiros family was confirmed as the owner of this fine manor house on February 5th by King D. Afonso V in Santarém. The boundaries remained unchanged until November 12th 1566. When King D. Sebastião rectified them on behalf of Diogo Lopes Calheiros. Therefore, everything within these boundaries today belong to the Calheiros family by Royal right, being handed down through the generations to the eldest son.
The old manor tower was destroyed at the end of the 17th Century, when the eldest son, Francisco Jácome de Lopes Calheiros ordered the construction of the two towers which still exist today. At the end of the tee-lined drive is a large iron gate with stone pillars, which bear the following Gothic style inscription from 1450:
from this old noble house
Proceed the Calheiros family
Noble people of this manor.
This was written at the time when Diogo Lopes de Calheiros was Lord of the manor. His father, Garcia Lopes de Calheiros, fought for D. Afonso V's kingdom, in wars with Castella and Africa, and was rewarded by D. João II. A blasonery can also be seen, with a heart background. Five silver shells and three golden stars are scattered on a black background.
In 1568, a curious collection of poems and notes called the 'Memorial of Calheiros', which contains a full history of the family. Throughout the Centuries, the manor house always remained with the Calheiros family name. Today the present Lord of the manor, and representative of the title Conde de Calheiros is Sr. Eng.º Francisco de Calheiros e Menezes.