Casa do Outeiro is located in Santa Marinha de Arcozelo, a small district of Ponte de Lima probably with the highest concentration of manor houses in the Lima valley. However, this 16th century manor house hosts treasures of a rich cultural identity and blooming beauty of a hidden jewel.

The manor house of the estate was restored in 1723, with a new balcony and main gate built in 1787. Construction of the house’s adjoining chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição was started in 1774, but it is not yet completed. In 1809, during the 2nd French Invasion, Casa do Outeiro was taken by General Soult’s soldiers, that established here their headquarters. Through generations, the estate steadily grew in size, and by the mid 19th century, it became one of the largest manors in northern Portugal.

It has since regained its composure and combines comfort with the aesthetic charm of a noble house, nestling between pleasant chestnut trees and extraordinary gardens. Its grand 16th century stone-pillared fireplace in the kitchen is unforgettable. Alongside Outeiro is an enchanting stone aqueduct covered in ivy, which can be viewed from the veranda.

Spaces

  • 2 x Twin - Starting at 75.00€ / night

Features

  • Library
  • Chapel
  • Parking
  • Speak Spanish
  • Speak French
  • Speak English
  • Golf
  • Gardens
  • walking
  • Swimming Pool
  • Meals on request

Address

Arcozelo

11256 TH

Back in 1809 the peaceful ambiance of this 16th century house was disrupted by invading French soldiers who took it over as their headquarters. It has since regained its composure and combines comfort with the aesthetic charm of a noble house nestling between chestnuts trees and attractive gardens. Its grand 16th century stone-pillared fireplace in the kitchen is memorable.

In Solares de Portugal The art of good living , Edições INAPA, 2007

HISTORY

Casa do Outeiro is located in Santa Marinha de Arcozelo, a small district of Ponte de Lima probably with the highest concentration of manor houses in the Lima valley.

Back in the 16th Century, there were two farms at Correlhã, one of them belonging to the macieis family, and the other to the noble Silveiro family. In 1634, a wedding between the two families (António Alvares Maciel and Josefa Pinto Correia) brought the two farms together. The daughter from this marriage, Maria Josefa Vieira Pinto Maciel, married in 1713 to Gaspar de Lima Teles de Menezes, a nobleman from Paço de Penas in Refoios de Lima. A consequence of this wedding was that more property was brought together, resulting in the farm named 'Quinta de Santo António e de Nossa Senhora da Conceição do Paço do Outeiro e Refoios.'

The manor house of the estate was restored in 1723, with a new balcony and main gate built in 1787. Construction of the house's chapel of Nossa Senhora da Conceição was started in 1774, but is not yet completed. Through the generations, the estate steadily grew in size, and by the mid 19th Century, it was one of the largest manors in the North.

In 1809, Casa do Outeiro was invaded by General Soult's soldiers, and established as their headquarters. General Soult had ordered the 2nd French invasion of Portugal. Despite its somewhat turbulent history, Casa do Outeiro remains well-preserved, and has stayed within the same family throughout the Centuries.

The present owners, Dr. João Gomes de Abreu Lima and his wife Maria Ana Rooke Pereira Dias de Magalhães have been restoring the property for over 20 years now.